Research Application Platforms
BioRenderA web platform for creating and sharing illustrative scientific figures for publication and communication using a scientifically accurate image library.
Images and illustrations can be imported and the service includes the creation of new custom icons on demand. In addition to saving on expensive illustration software, the goal of this solution is to reduce the amount of time required by researchers to create illustrative figures.
- Available to anyone working at Harvard University (Faculty, Staff, Postdocs, and Students)
- 33-digit Harvard billing number required for payment
- A valid and active HarvardKey account
- Hospital Affiliates are not eligible
- $120.00 per user per year starting November 1, 2021, pricing per user per year will be $142.00
- Harvard Departmental 33-digit billing code required
- License term is November 1- October 31
- License renews automatically at the November 1st, each year
- To opt-out of automatic renewal, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- No prorated pricing available for this software
How to request
BioRender is a web-based tool that supports Mac OS, Windows, and Linux browsers.
eLabNext Platform (Pilot)The eLabNext Platform offers eLABJournal, eLABInventory, and eLabProtocols which together enable users to securely and efficiently document experiments, while also tracking the lab's inventory of samples, reagents, and equipment.
eLABJournal is a fully compliant Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN), offering an intuitive and flexible solution to documenting, organizing, searching, and archiving research data. You can upload and annotate images, upload and edit excel files and link to your larger data files. You can upload files of any type and view or edit those files through associated desktop applications. You can also link to samples and reagents stored in eLABInventory.
With eLABInventory you can efficiently track any sample, specimen, chemical, or instrument in the lab. You can setup templates to track any information about any item in your lab inventory. You can also centralize orders by keeping track of quantities, and receive notifications when chemicals, samples, and consumables run out of stock.
eLabProtocols is a web-based protocol management system to design protocol templates and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). You can create a step-by-step experimental procedure and define the output parameters to be collected in your experiment.
HMS On-quad Labs, Departments, and Cores approved by HMS ELN steering committee.
Integrated with HMS Authentication with 2FA. HMS account ID required
Application is available via the HMS network and externally
Intuitive User Interface
Integration with HMS Office 365 Excel
Supports Experiment Templates, Protocols & SOP management, including version support
Sign and Witness experiments
Automatically synchronize uploaded data (eLABSync)
Upload files of any type, and open with associated desktop software (eLABWebEdit)
Collaborate with colleagues
Customizable User Roles and Permissions
Sample & Inventory Barcoding
Keep track of quantities, and centralize ordering
Schedule lab devices
Currently limited to Harvard Data Security Level 3
Brower-based system, compatible with all major web browsers on Linux, Mac OS, and Windows, Mac systems.
Mobile app available for iOS and Android devices.
There is no cost for HMS on-quad users during the pilot.
Request an account
HMS Principal Investigators or core directors who would like their groups to participate in the eLabNext Pilot should contact email@example.com for further information about eligibility.
Getting started with eLabNext
During the Pilot, training will be provided to new groups as needed. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further details
REDCap Research Electronic Data CaptureA web-based Electronic Data Capture (EDC) application designed for building and managing online surveys and data capture for research and clinical studies. REDCap was developed by a multi-institutional consortium initiated at Vanderbilt University and is
- For HMS IRB studies in REDcap, users must be listed on your active approved IRB.
- Available to all HMS, HSDM, and HSPH quad-based staff, faculty, and post-docs. Other HMS affiliates do not qualify for this license.
- Students who work in HMS-based research labs are also eligible, with Lab or Departmental approval.
- Survey subjects do not need an HMS ID to take a REDCap survey.
- Online or offline project design: Use the Online Designer or offline using a “data dictionary” template in Microsoft Excel that can be uploaded later into REDCap.
- Secure and web-based: Input data or build an online survey or database from anywhere in the world over a secure web connection with authentication and data logging.
- Fast and flexible: Conception to production-level database or survey in less than one day.
- Fully customizable
- Audit trails: For tracking data manipulation and user activity.
- Automated export procedures: For seamless data downloads to Excel, PDF, and common statistical packages (SPSS, SAS, Stata, R).
- A built-in project calendar
- A scheduling module
- Ad hoc reporting tools
- Advanced features such as branching logic, file uploading, and calculated fields.
- Available in multiple languages
- HMS REDCAP is approved for use with Harvard Data Security Level 4 data
- Preview or Test Projects can be created in our REDCap Sandbox environment.
- HMS REDCap is NOT a HIPAA compliant service.
- Provide functional support for Survey (Project) creation, import, conversion, or publication.
- Brower-based system, compatible with all major web browsers on Linux, Mac OS, and Windows, Mac systems.
- REDCap mobile app for iOS and Android
- There is no cost to eligible users of this HMS service.
Request an account
- HMS REDCap website login page
- Complete the request form to get an account and a REDCap project
Getting started with REDCap
HMS GitHubIf you need to store code or scripts in a safe and secure location, GitHub is the answer.
Research Computing will assist HMS Researchers with setting up a GitHub space to store your code/scripts in Git. There is no cost for his services.
If you are interested please email us at email@example.com
OMEROA visualization platform for the management of microscope images and metadata, available for use across the HMS research community.
OMERO is a visualization platform for the management of microscope images and metadata, available for use across the HMS research community.
Available to HMS Quad-based faculty, staff, postdocs, and graduate students. External sponsored collaborators who are working with HMS Labs or Cores.
The user must have an HMS account.
No Cost for HMS Quad-based faculty, staff, postdocs, and graduate students. No Cost for external sponsored collaborators who are working with HMS Labs or Cores.
Reference HMS storage and quota policies.
Request HMS OMERO account
Download and install OMERO.insight, which is necessary to import data into OMERO.