BioRenderA web solution for creating and sharing illustrative scientific figures for publication and communication using a scientifically accurate image library.
Images and illustrations can be imported and the service include the creation of new custom icons on demand.
In addition to saving on expensive illustration software, the goal of this solution is to reduce the amount of time required by researchers to create illustrative figures.
Eligible Users can access Biorender here! (eCommons ID required)
- Biorender is being provided at no charge in order to assess its utility to HMS Researchers. Participants agree to provide feedback on the viability and value.
- Images created in Biorender can be exported as vector images for modification in traditional illustration applications.
- Available to HMS and HSDM Quad-based staff, faculty, postdocs, grad students, and Guest users.
- Students who work in HMS-based research labs are also eligible.
- Registration by valid, eligible, HMS eCommons ID only.
- No exceptions are possible at this time due to licensing restrictions.
Biorender is a web-based tool which supports Mac OS, Windows and Linux browsers.
There is no cost to participate in the Pilot period.
Electronic Data Capture Application (REDCap)A web-based Electronic Data Capture (EDC) application designed for building and managing online surveys and data capture for research and clinical studies. REDCap was developed by a multi-institutional consortium initiated at Vanderbilt University and is
- IRB Approval is required for for/all use of REDCap.
- Preview or Test Projects can be created in our REDCap Sandbox environment.
- Any/all REDCap study users must be listed on your active IRB Approval
- Available to all HMS, HSDM and HSPH Quad-based Staff/Faculty/PostDocs. Other HMS Affiliates do not qualify for this license.
- Students who work in HMS-based research labs are also eligible, with Lab or Departmental approval.
- Survey subjects do not need an HMS ID to take a REDCap survey.
Benefits of REDCap
- Online or offline project design: Use the Online Designer or offline using a “data dictionary” template in Microsoft Excel that can be uploaded later into REDCap.
- Secure and web-based: Input data or build an online survey or database from anywhere in the world over a secure web connection with authentication and data logging.
- Fast and flexible: Conception to production-level database or survey in less than one day.
- Fully customizable
- Audit trails: For tracking data manipulation and user activity.
- Automated export procedures: For seamless data downloads to Excel, PDF, and common statistical packages (SPSS, SAS, Stata, R).
- A built-in project calendar
- A scheduling module
- Ad hoc reporting tools
- Advanced features such as branching logic, file uploading, and calculated fields.
- Available in multiple languages
- Support and training is available via the REDCap Consortium Community Website.
What We Can’t Offer
- HMS REDCAP is approved for use with Harvard Data Security Level 4 data. HMS REDCap is NOT a HIPAA compliant service.
- Provide functional support for Survey (Project) creation, import, conversion or publication.
- Windows, Mac, Unix, Linux
- REDCap mobile app for iOS and Android
There is no cost to eligible users of this HMS service.
Getting started with REDCap
SnapgeneSnapgene offers HMS researchers the ability to plan, visualize, and document their molecular biology procedures. The streamlined interface supports a range of cloning and PCR manipulations.
- SnapGene is currently offered as a perpetual, non-expiring license, costing $255 for the first year, and costing $41 for each following year.
- Licenses are good for 1 install on 1 computer.
- Licenses can be moved to a new user can be moved to a new user by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once a license has been activated, it can be used anywhere (No license server required).
- Important: users may opt out of automatic renewal by sending the computer name and account holder information to email@example.com.
- Available to HMS Quad-based staff, faculty, postdocs and grad students
- Students who work in HMS-based research labs are also eligible (verification required).
- Registration by Harvard email address is required, e.g. gmail, yahoo, etc. cannot be used.
- Payment must be made with Harvard 33-digit billing code
- OS Windows 7 or later
- macOS 10.10 or later
- Fedora Linux 21 or later
- Red Hat Linux 7.2 or later
- Ubuntu Linux 14.04 or later
- Memory 1 GB RAM
- Hard Disk 250 MB available disk space
- Display 1024 x 768 or higher resolution
$255 for the first year; and costing $41 for each following year with 33-digit Harvard Billing code
Information about using SnapGene can be found on the vendor's web site.