Tableau is the preferred data analytics and visualization tool at HMS that allows you to present your data in a wide array of visual formats. This visualization can often provide insights that are not obvious when looking at a grid of numbers. Tableau can also pull data from most sources, such as Excel or the Data Warehouse.
Types of users
- Creator – You are a data power user, very comfortable working in Excel, or maybe even skilled at using SQL to query databases around the School. Adding Tableau into your toolbox can help you create and publish dashboards with visualizations that go far beyond what you can do in Excel. You can get started by plugging Tableau into your existing Excel sheets.
- Viewer – You do not need to create dashboards but would like to access a Tableau dashboard published by someone else directly.
- Review the Tableau licensing policy
- Contact the HMS IT Data Architecture team at IT_DATA_ARCH@hms.harvard.edu.
Additional help for Creators
- If you are a new Tableau user, we can help you get started with some Tableau 101 coaching.
- If you need access to data that is in a secured data source, we can help.
- We can provide access to self-paced online Tableau training.
- The Tableau User Community at HMS shares best practices and ideas among members. If interested, contact Sandy Markussen.