How do I get started?
- Contact the HMS IT Data Architecture team at IT_DATA_ARCH@hms.harvard.edu
How can we help you?
- Creators and Viewers: We can provide you with a license to use the product.
- Creators: If you are a new Tableau user we can help you get started with some Tableau 101 coaching.
- Creators: If you need access to data that is in a secured data source we can help.
- Creators: We can provide access to self-paced online Tableau training.
- Creators: In 2019 we will be forming a Tableau User Community at HMS for the purposes of sharing best practices and ideas and to learn from each other. Stay tuned!
Tableau is the preferred Data Analytics and Visualization Tool at HMS.
- Tableau allows you to present your data in a wide array of visual formats, which can often provide insights that are not obvious when looking at a grid of numbers.
- Tableau can pull data from most sources. Everything from an Excel sheet to the Data Warehouse.
There are two types of Tableau Users.
- Creator: You are a data “power user”, very comfortable working in Excel or maybe even skilled at using SQL to query databases around the School. Adding Tableau into your toolbox can help you create and publish dashboards with visualizations that go far beyond what you can do in Excel. In fact, you can get started by plugging Tableau into your existing Excel sheets.
- Viewer: You do not need to create dashboards, but would like to directly access a Tableau dashboard published by someone else.
To learn more about Tableau.