Research Data Management
Research Data Management is the process of providing the appropriate labeling, storage, and access for data at all stages of a research project. The Research Data Management team works directly with researchers to aid in the management of their data throughout the various stages of the data lifecycle.
Early and attentive management at each step of the data lifecycle will ensure the discoverability and longevity of your research.
For further guidance and additional resources, please visit the Harvard Biomedical Data Management website.
Data Management Consulting
- Collaborate with labs and researchers to classify existing data.
- Help labs interpret their data usage and classification metrics.
- Advance and refine processes to move infrequently accessed data to long term storage.
- Develop automated methods for moving data between storage platforms.
- Provide a better understanding of how to sustainably manage large scale data storage.
- Provide new product and technology recommendations based on researcher needs.
Data Management Training and Resources
- Research Data Management Onboarding Checklist:
- This document serves as a general, research data management-focused guide to employee/trainee onboarding as they join a new lab or begin new projects. The document provides two checklists: Checklist for Joining a New Lab and Checklist for Starting or Joining a New Project. Follow one or both of these checklists as they apply to your situation. Internal and external links have been provided throughout the document as supplementary resources, including a glossary of terms.
- Research Data Management Offboarding Checklist
- This document is designed to guide the knowledge transfer process. The document should be reviewed in conjunction with the RDM Onboarding Checklist, as offboarding procedures should be planned for early in the research process.
- If you are a PI, Lab Data Manager, Core Facilities Director, or similar, our ELN Subject Matter Experts will meet with you to understand more about your group’s ELN requirements, and help you decide on an ELN Platform that meets your needs. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a consultation.
- Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN) Documentation
- An Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN) is a software tool that in its most basic form replicates an interface much like a page in a paper lab notebook. In an electronic notebook, you can enter protocols, observations, notes, and other data using your computer or mobile device. This offers several advantages over the traditional paper notebook. Further information about the various types of ELNs available can be found on the Harvard Longwood Medical Area Research Data Management website.
Data Management Support
Jessica Pierce, Research Data Manager
Sarah Marchese, Senior Research Data Management Analyst