Research Computing Application Support ManagerHarvard Medical School
Design, plan, and implement software and data services that support and enrich research productivity and reliability. Support software and data services with researchers to ensure that modern standards of reproducible research are kept.
Reporting to the Director of Research IT Operations, the Research IT Application Support Manager will be responsible for supporting and maintaining Research Computing applications and platforms, particularly applications such as OMERO in support of imaging research, extending to other applications such as REDCap, Globus, Snapgene and other systems supported by Research Computing. This is a hands-on manager/team leader role responsible for managing the application support team, ensuring the applications meet the needs of the Harvard Medical School (HMS) research community, and overseeing operational support.
This position will be in Research Computing (RC) https://it.hms.harvard.edu/rc, which is part of the HMS Information Technology Department. RC supports the research community at HMS. This position will work closely with HMS Information Technology and HMS researchers who consume these services.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Function as Service Manager and Subject Matter Expert for Research software applications.
- Responsible for effective staff management, including hiring and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment.
- Accountable for the maintenance and upkeep of Research Computing IT application platforms and services.
- Document and coordinate testing processes and procedures.
- Involvement in Research Computing projects that would impact RC applications.
- Manage research computing support staff for relevant applications
- Conduct application training sessions for the team members.
- Work with staff, other HMS IT teams, and vendors to solve critical issues related to managed systems.
- Responsible for managing and tracking application issues and working to address these challenges.
- Managing the creation and ensure the upkeep of all applications, operational processes, and documentation.
- Run weekly team meetings and tracking the team's work.
- Development of reports and KPI's for tracking system incidents, requests, and application or service activity and demand.
- S/he will manage the change control process for the team, which includes being involved with weekly HMS IT Change Advisory Board.
- Providing technical insight for the team and end-users where you can address issues and problems.
Typical Core Duties
- Responsible for effective staff management, including hiring and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment
- Advise researchers in the design, planning, and implementation of software or data analysis that enriches research productivity and reliability
- Build a deep understanding with specific research activities through regular engagements
- Develop a scope of work and timely project plan with regular milestones
- Build and maintain software code and custom data processing pipelines for complex environments
- Provide regular communications to PI’s/stakeholders with project updates
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies and Code of Conduct
- Minimum of seven years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Previous management experience preferred.
- Expert in release management which includes deployment and system management of server-based applications.
- Experience with providing training to team members or end-users.
- Experience with managing and deploying web-based applications in development, quality assurance and production environments.
- Experience with software deployment and support.
- Proven experience in managing the process of implementing, deploying and updating software solutions.
- Knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems.
- Experience with supporting applications that contain PII or PHI data.
- Understanding of ITIL principles, including incident, change and release management.
- ITIL Certifications preferred.
- Proficiency in using IT Service managing systems like ServiceNow.
- Experience with quality assurance processes and procedures
- Experience with managing applications hosted on cloud or on-premise infrastructures.
- Excellent documentation skills.
- Familiarity with Confluence and JIRA.
- Proven experience in troubleshooting application and system issues.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Detailed oriented person.
- Expertise in one of the following applications (REDCap, Globus, Electronic Lab Notebooks, OMERO).
- A bachelor's degree in MIS or Computer Science preferred or equivalent experience.
- Working effectively within a culture inclusive of individuals with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations, and appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals.
Certificates and Licenses
- Completion of Harvard IT Academy specified foundational courses (or external equivalent) preferred
- Occasionally required to work outside of normal business hours, and may be contacted during off hours
Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities!
Job Function: Information Technology
Location: USA - MA - Boston
Job Code: I1258M IT RC Software/Data Mgt IV
Department: IT-Research Computing
Time Status: Full-time
Salary Grade 058
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Pre-Employment Screening: Criminal, Identity
Schedule: 35 hrs. per week | Monday - Friday | 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
EEO Statement: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.