Shared Network Folders
Harvard Medical School's Online Storage application provides access to data stored on the IT file server through eCommons. Using the Online Storage utility through eCommons will enable you to work with your documents from any computer connected to the Internet as well as share files with colleagues.
- Are created to share documents with individuals in your work group as well as members of other departments.
- Need to have at least two co-owners who can add, edit, and remove files as well as grant additional user access.
- Creating Collaboration Folders
- Managing Folder Membership
- Working with Shared Documents
- Deleting a Collaboration Folder
Secure File Transfer
HMS uses the Harvard University Information Technologies (HUIT) Accellion Kiteworks. The Kiteworks tool provides secure file transfer for files up to and including Level 4 data, that are very large in size (up to 50GB) or have unique file types. Level 4 data security policies can be found at https://policy.security.harvard.edu/level-4. You can use Accellion Kiteworks to securely encrypt attachments in order to meet requirements of the Harvard Information Security Policy, and other regulatory requirements, such as: HIPAA, FISMA, FERPA, MA 201 CMR 17.00, and others.
- A simple, easy to use tool accessible by web, Window’s Outlook plug-in or smartphones
- Consolidated service, managed by HUIT for the Harvard Community
- Single and secure sign-on with HarvardKey/DUO
Quad-based faculty, staff, and students with an Office 365 email account and HarvardKey access.
How to Access
The Kiteworks tool for both Window’s and MAC devices is accessible with your favorite browser at filetransfer.harvard.edu and will authenticate with HarvardKey credentials.
- Outlook plug-in - If you have installed the Accellion Outlook plug-in for securely sending attachments via Microsoft Outlook, you will need to remove it and download the updated Accellion Kiteworks plug-in. Instructions for this coming soon.
- Workspaces - HMS IT have offered secure storage on the Accellion platform through the use of workspaces. HUIT’s Accellion Kiteworks server does not offer this feature so if you have data stored on the Accellion platform in a workspace you will need to move it to another location. If you are not sharing L4 or HRCI secure data you can use either OneDrive (included with Office 365, see https://mso.harvard.edu/getting-started-harvard-onedrive for details) or Dropbox (see https://it.hms.harvard.edu/our-services/communication-and-collaboration/dropbox-business for details or to apply for a Dropbox account.) If you are sharing L4 or HRCI secure data you may qualify for a SharePoint site which is certified for this purpose. You can apply for a secure SharePoint site at https://harvard.service-now.com/ithelp?id=sc_cat_item&sys_id=6de6b5856ffcb100a54fa981be3ee4a8.
The secure file transfer system is not appropriate for all cases. For other options, please contact the Information Security Office at email@example.com