Harvard Medical School has a guest account mechanism that allows visitors and guests (non-HMS/HSDM employees) to access various school systems when requested by a Sponsor. Sponsors must be a Harvard Medical Faculty or Staff and must have a valid Harvard ID number. Guest User accounts may initially be requested for up to one year, though they may be extended for additional time if approved by a sponsor. Note that due to the licensing agreements with the electronic journals, invited user accounts will NOT have access to the Digital Library.
Request a Guest User account for any of the following populations or situations:
- Temporary employees paid via an outside agency (ex: Spherion)
- Continuing Education or summer students
- Harvard employees outside of HMS and HSDM
- Harvard contractors or consultants with a Harvard University contractor ID
- Faculty members from another non-Harvard affiliated institution collaborating with HMS or HSDM faculty
Note – Hospital faculties' guests are not eligible for Harvard Medical School email accounts.
Register your HMS account (eCommons ID)
HMS accounts (eCommons IDs) are automatically created for those with Harvard IDs issued by Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Harvard School of Public Health. Faculty and staff based at HMS-affiliated hospitals also qualify for an HMS account.
Before using an HMS account, it must be registered.