Harvard Medical School has a guest account mechanism that allows visitors and guests (non-HMS/HSDM employees) to access various school systems when requested by a Sponsor. Sponsors must be a Harvard Medical Faculty or Staff and must have a valid Harvard ID number. Guest User accounts may initially be requested for up to one year, though they may be extended for additional time if approved by a sponsor. Note that due to the licensing agreements with the electronic journals, invited user accounts will NOT have access to the Digital Library.
Request a Guest User account for any of the following populations or situations:
- Temporary employees paid via an outside agency (ex: Spherion)
- Continuing Education or summer students
- Harvard employees outside of HMS and HSDM
- Harvard contractors or consultants with a Harvard University contractor ID
- Faculty members from another non-Harvard affiliated institution collaborating with HMS or HSDM faculty
Note – Hospital faculties' guests are not eligible for Harvard Medical School email accounts.
Activate your HMS account
HMS accounts are automatically created for those with a Harvard University ID (HUID) issued by Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Harvard School of Public Health. Faculty and staff based at HMS-affiliated hospitals also qualify for an HMS account.
Your HMS account credentials consist of your HMS ID and a password that you set during activation.
Before using an HMS account, it must be activated.
To activate your HMS account, visit the account management page and select “Activate your account”.