Step 1: Register for an eCommons Account with your HUID.
All HMS faculty, staff and students will need to register for an eCommons account with their HUID. If you are an intern or “temporary” personnel, you will need to register using a Guest Key that will be provided.
An eCommons account is required for access to the following HMS resources: email, collaboration shares, wireless network, research cluster, and the HMS Web Portal: https://my.hms.harvard.edu
To Register for Your eCommons Account:
- Go to https://ecommons.med.harvard.edu and click the “New User Registration” link. Click “Register Now”.
- Enter your Last Name in Step 1 and enter your HUID or Guest Key in Step 2, then click “Submit”.
- Click “Continue” to validate your email address.
- Create your new password, and click “Submit” to complete the registration process.
- When prompted - register for “Safecode security”, which is a self-service feature allowing you to reset your password or unlock your account should you forget your eCommons’ password.
- Register for Message Me to receive emergency notifications from Harvard University at the following url: https://messageme.harvard.edu/
Step 2: HarvardKey
HarvardKey is Harvard University's online user credentialing, uniquely identifying you to Harvard University IT applications and services. Your HarvardKey credentials are required for accessing PeopleSoft, a tool for reporting your time as well as many other Harvard University financial applications.
- Claim your HarvardKey: https://key.harvard.edu/select-user-type.
- Go back to https://key.harvard.edu and select “Set Up & Manage Your Two-Step Verification” link
- HarvardKey FAQ: https://reference.iam.harvard.edu/
HarvardKey is independent from your HMS eCommons ID.
You can access your HMS email through the Outlook Web Access (OWA) interface by going to https://outlook.office365.com/. Log in using your eCommons username and password. Interns or “temporary” personnel should check with their HMS supervisor regarding HMS email eligibility.
Network and Wireless Access
You can connect to the internet by Ethernet connection (wired) or wireless connections. For instructions on how to access one of these connections go to: http://it.hms.harvard.edu/services/servers-network/wireless-networks
Visit the Research Computing homepage: https://rc.hms.harvard.edu/ to learn more about HPCC access, training, consulting, imaging, and research software support.
HMS IT Service Desk: 617-432-2000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each department at HMS has a dedicated team of Client Service Representatives (CSRs) providing localized desktop support. A list of CSRs by department can be found here: https://harvardmed.service-now.com/kb_view_customer.do?sysparm_article=KB0010526