Research Computing at Harvard Medical School
Research Computing (RC) provides information technology systems and services that support the research mission of Harvard Medical School investigators and research affiliates.
RC is comprised of two service groups that work together:
Our services include:
- The O2 high-performance computing environment which accommodates diverse software applications, databases, and workflows
- Expert consultation in the use of this environment through our Research Computing Consulting Group
- Multiple petabytes of network attached storage, in multiple tiers of high performance network storage available to HMS and HMS-affiliated researchers
- The Image Management Core and the OMERO platform for image management.
- Data Management services, including data management planning and storage options.
- Training on the use of our tools and systems.
- Custom information technology solutions for your lab through RITS
- Solutions for supplemental data publication
- Resources and support for research data transfers
- Research-specific software:
RC provides thousands of cores of computing power to scale up workflows. Tens of thousands of jobs run on the cluster every day for big and small projects in next-gen sequencing analysis, molecular dynamics, mathematical modeling, image analysis, proteomics, and other areas.
Specialized hardware is available, including GPU and high-memory machines.
There are multiple tiers of high performance network storage for different needs.
Extensive research software tools are available in a Linux environment - including open source and some commercially licensed applications – as well as some research-focused desktop software.
Consulting support includes choosing and installing appropriate software, building workflows, and scaling them up to work efficiently in the HMS environment.
- Request an O2 cluster account
- Sign up for Research HPC Training
- Harvard Biomedical Data Management: Information and resources about managing biomedical research data throughout the entire lifecycle.
- HMS Storage Tiers: Information about which storage environment is most appropriate for storing research data.
- HMS Storage Request Form: Submit a request to get new HPC-accessible storage, increase a quota, or move data to different storage tiers.
William Barnett, Sr. Director, Research Computing: firstname.lastname@example.org
Amir Karger, Associate Director, Research Computing: Amir_Karger@hms.harvard.edu
Mason Miranda, Director, Research IT Solutions: email@example.com