Getting Started at HMS
Step 1. Register your new HMS Account
- Register your HMS account (Registration Instructions).
- In the last screen of registration you will be prompted with your new username and password.
- Make a mental note of your username and case-sensitive password.
- Don’t log off the computer, just close your browser.
Step 2. Access Education Applications
Step 3. Log in to the HMS Email System
Use your new HMS username and case-sensitive password to log into your official email account at mail.hms.harvard.edu
Your official student email address at HMS will be:
- HSDM students: firstname.lastname@example.org
- HMS students: email@example.com
- HST PhD students: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Incoming GSAS/DMS students receive only an FAS email account. Please work with the FAS-IT staff on any issues with your FAS email.
How do I change my HMS password?
- Launch a web browser.
- Log into MyCourses at http://mycourses.med.harvard.edu
- Click I Forgot My Password (located below the Submit button.)
- Enter your eCommons/MyCourses Username and click Submit.
- Follow the directions on how to reset your case-sensitive password.
- Test your new case-sensitive password by logging out of computer and logging into all of your HMS accounts.
How do I change my email password?
Your email password is the same as your MyCourses/eCommons password. See instructions above.
What's my HMS Private wifi password?
Your case-sensitive network password is the same as your MyCourses/eCommons password. See instructions above.
Do I need antivirus for my computer?
Yes, you are required to have antivirus software on your computer. For more information, please read about our Cyber Essentials program.
What is a HarvardKey?
The goal of the HarvardKey is to provide a student with one number that s/he can use to access many different university systems and services.
Visit https://key.harvard.edu/ for more information and to obtain your HarvardKey.
Some examples of services accessed via HarvardKey:
Additional information and help is available at https://harvard.service-now.com/ithelp.
Is there an emergency text message service?
Yes, log into your MyCourses account, click on Preferences in the upper left corner of the frame, and click on Messaging. Click on the button, Sign Up/Edit under the Emergency Broadcasting Text Message Service panel and follow the directions to register for this service.
How can I get more info about computing services at HMS?
Visit the Student Computing section of the HMS IT web site.
Can I forward my HMS email to Gmail?
Yes, but be warned, Google has been known to filter important messages (like, from the Registrar) as junk! If you log in to http://mycourses.med.harvard.edu/, under Preferences, choose the Messaging title and scroll down to E-mail options. Here you will see you can forward emails to another account.
Wireless stopped working on my Mac or iOS device. Help!
This is a common problem that students see on Apple and iOS devices after they change their passwords. It’s a pretty easy fix! Go to Applications>Utilities>Keychain Access. In here, you will want to delete anything and everything related to HMS accounts. Once this has been done, it’s easy to enter your new password and save this into your keychain for future use.
How do I set up my phone to receive HMS email?
Help! My name is misspelled in the system. How do I fix it?
You should contact the registrar's office directly to make changes to your student information. Once the change has been made with the registrar’s office, it will be changed on downstream HMS systems.