Step 1 – Register your HMS account
HMS IDs are automatically created for those with Harvard IDs issued by Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Harvard School of Public Health. Faculty and staff based at HMS-affiliated hospitals also qualify for an HMS account.
Before using an HMS account, you must register it.
To register your HMS account, contact HMS IT by phone at 617-432-2000 or by email at email@example.com.
Step 2 – Access education applications
Step 3 – Sign in to the HMS email system
Use your new HMS username and case-sensitive password to sign in to your official email account at mail.hms.harvard.edu.
Your official student email address at HMS will be:
- HSDM students: firstname.lastname@example.org
- HMS students: email@example.com
- HST Ph.D. students: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note – Incoming GSAS and DMS students receive only a FAS email account. Work with the FAS IT staff on any issues with your FAS email.
Change my HMS password
- Launch a web browser.
- Sign in to MyCourses at mycourses.med.harvard.edu.
- Select I Forgot My Password
- Enter your HMS account and MyCourses username
- Select Submit.
- Follow the directions on how to reset your case-sensitive password.
- Test your new case-sensitive password by signing out of the computer and signing into all of your HMS accounts.
Change email password
Your email password is the same as your MyCourses and HMS account password. See the instructions above.
Students must have antivirus protection on both Windows and macOS.
- Windows: Ensure that Microsoft Defender Antivirus is active.
- macOS: Download free antivirus protection from Avast One.
The goal of the HarvardKey is to provide a student with one number that s/he can use to access many different University systems and services.
Visit key.harvard.edu for more information and to obtain your HarvardKey.
Some examples of services accessed via HarvardKey:
Additional information and help are available at harvard.service-now.com/ithelp.
Emergency text message service
- Sign in to your MyCourses account
- Select Preferences in the upper left corner of the frame
- Select Messaging.
- Select Sign Up/Edit under the Emergency Broadcasting Text Message Service panel.
- Follow the directions to register for this service.
Visit the Student Computing section of the HMS IT website.
Fix a misspelled name
You must contact the Registrar's Office directly to change your student information. After the change has been made with the Registrar's Office, it will be changed on downstream HMS systems.