REDCap Electronic Data Capture
BETA Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap), is a web-based Electronic Data Capture (EDC) application designed for building and managing online surveys and data capture for research and clinical studies. REDCap was developed by a multi-institutional consortium initiated at Vanderbilt University and is designed to be a secure solution for research.
- IRB Approval is required for for/all use of REDCap.
- Preview or Test Projects can be created in our REDCap Sandbox environment.
- Any/all REDCap study users must be listed on your active IRB Approval
- Available to all HMS, HSDM and HSPH Quad-based Staff/Faculty/PostDocs. Other HMS Affiliates do not qualify for this license.
- Students who work in HMS-based research labs are also eligible, with Lab or Departmental approval.
- Survey subjects do not need an HMS ID to take a REDCap survey.
Benefits of REDCap
- Online or offline project design: Use the Online Designer or offline using a “data dictionary” template in Microsoft Excel that can be uploaded later into REDCap.
- Secure and web-based: Input data or build an online survey or database from anywhere in the world over a secure web connection with authentication and data logging.
- Fast and flexible: Conception to production-level database or survey in less than one day.
- Fully customizable
- Audit trails: For tracking data manipulation and user activity.
- Automated export procedures: For seamless data downloads to Excel, PDF, and common statistical packages (SPSS, SAS, Stata, R).
- A built-in project calendar
- A scheduling module
- Ad hoc reporting tools
- Advanced features such as branching logic, file uploading, and calculated fields.
- Available in multiple languages
- Support and training is available via the REDCap Consortium Community Website.
What We Can’t Offer
- HMS REDCAP is approved for use with Harvard Data Security Level 4 data. HMS REDCap is NOT a HIPAA compliant service.
- Provide functional support for Survey (Project) creation, import, conversion or publication.
- Windows, Mac, Unix, Linux
- REDCap mobile app for iOS and Android
There is no cost to eligible users of this HMS service.
Getting started with REDCap
Data Management Consulting
The Research Data Manager works directly with researchers to aid in the management of their data throughout the different stages of the data lifecycle.
- Work with researchers to classify existing data.
- Help labs interpret data usage and classification metrics.
- Develop and refine a process to move infrequently accessed data to other storage tiers (e.g., long-term storage).
- Create automated methods for moving data between storage platforms and tiers.
- Provide an understanding of how to sustainably manage large scale data storage.
- Provide new product and technology recommendations.