You can access many of the applications that were listed on the eCommons portal by adding them to your "My Applications" block in your MyHMS dashboard. Select Add under relevant applications on the My Applications Selector page, then navigate to your MyHMS dashboard to view and access the added applications.
✅ No issues — ⚠️ Degraded performance — 🟥 Outage
- ✅ Account Self-Service – You can reset your password or unlock your HMS account at mypassword.hms.harvard.edu.
- ✅ Course Proposal – For more information, visit the Registrar's website.
- ⚠️ eCommons Portal – The eCommons Portal is inaccessible. Links previously available in the eCommons Portal are available lower on this page and the resource links page.
- ✅ Email – It is safe to sign in to your Office 365 email account on your desktop applications and on the web at mail.med.harvard.edu
- 🟥 Ex-Clerk – Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the visiting students program is on hold. Ex-Clerk will be brought back online once the program returns.
- 🟥 Faculty Promotion Milestones (Professorial Promotions) – We are working with the Office for Faculty Affairs on a solution.
- ⚠️ Guest account requests – During the outage, guest account processing will take at least three business days. Use these forms for requesting and extending guest accounts:
- ⚠️ HMS Directory Services – Use the Harvard-wide internal directory.
- ✅ ISIS (Student Information Search of MADRIS) – This tool has been retired, and authorized users have been given access to Student Search using the my.harvard portal. Email email@example.com with any questions.
- ⚠️ MADRIS – The MADRIS databases are secure and functioning. User interfaces to access data are offline. If you have an urgent need related to MADRIS, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ✅ Mediasite – To record new videos, use Panopto.
- ✅ MD Program Course Catalog – To access, navigate to the Course Catalog.
- ⚠️ MyCourses – The MyCourses databases are secure and functioning. User interfaces to access data are offline. If you have an urgent need related to MyCourses, email email@example.com.
- ✅ MyHMS – To access, navigate to the MyHMS dashboard.
- ⚠️ New HMS Employee Accounts – During the outage, the processing of new accounts may be delayed. For assistance with new accounts, contact the HMS IT Service Desk.
- ✅ NHP Data – NHP Data is secure and functioning.
- ✅ OASIS – Service is operational, including student and faculty photos.
- ⚠️ O2 web hosting – You may experience issues with sites using eCommons web authentication services.
- ⚠️ Online Storage – All storage systems are operational and accessible. However, the Online Storage self-service interface is currently unavailable. For questions regarding file permissions or folder membership, to request new departmental share folders, or to add or remove users to existing collaborations, contact the HMS IT Service Desk or your local Client Services team.
- ⚠️ OrgEditor – OrgEditor remains down. For OrgEditor's file-sharing functionality, Dropbox is the recommended replacement. For OrgEditor's internal web page functionality, OpenScholar is the recommended replacement.
- 🟥 OSE Searchable Opportunities Database – The Office of Scholarly Engagement will reach out to students with more information about this service.
- ✅ Qualtrics – Email firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions on restoring access.
- ⚠️ Self-Registration Accounts for Hospital Affiliates – Self-Registration is offline. To request a new affiliate account, contact the HMS IT Service Desk.
- 🟥 Up-To-Date Authorization – MD Students authorized for Up-To-Date are currently unable to reauthorize licenses. The vendor is working to extend the reauthorization grace period while HMS IT implements a long-term solution.
- ✅ Zoom – You may need to sign in again and reconnect your calendar.
Last updated on February 17 at 7:55 AM.
- Countway Library
- HCCRC Protocol Review
- MyHMS dashboard
- MD Program Course Catalog
- National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI)
- National Library of Medicine
- Outlook on the web
- Room Scheduling
- Secure File Transfer
- Service Tools & Technologies (STAT)
Additional sites can be found on our resource links page.
January 27, 2021
The eCommons platform and associated applications remain offline while HMS IT addresses the security of the environment. HMS IT is working with stakeholders to identify immediate workarounds for critical functions, processes, and workflows and to deploy new systems and applications wherever possible. We have shifted the workload of many of our IT staff members toward implementing these short-term solutions, including implementing manual processes that may affect response times.
January 25, 2021
Harvard’s technical teams have been working around the clock and have secured all the known areas of unauthorized access to Harvard’s Office 365 email. The intrusion appears to have affected a small number of individuals within the Harvard community. We are working directly with those individuals we have identified, and we continue to monitor activity closely.
We are continuing our analysis of the eCommons platform outage, which has affected access to applications and services.
January 22, 2021
In response to the recent intrusion into Harvard's Office 365 email service, Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is enabling new security measures within our email system. As a result of this work, you will be required to re-authenticate, or sign in again, to access your Office 365 account. If you receive this request, it is safe to proceed. Given our shared services' complex nature, you may be asked to authenticate several times over the next few days.
January 20, 2021
In response to the recent security intrusion affecting Microsoft Office 365 accounts at Harvard, we are taking several important steps to defend against future attacks:
- We recommend that you reset your HMS account (eCommons) password to secure your account – To reset your password, visit the password reset page at mypassword.hms.harvard.edu, then follow the prompts.
- We have expanded the HMS Virtual Private Network (VPN) to protect additional websites and services – If you experience issues accessing an HMS website or service, install the VPN client, connect to the VPN, then try again. This does not apply to applications affected by the eCommons outage.
- We will enable two-factor authentication (2FA) for Office 365 on all accounts by the end of this week – Harvard University now requires 2FA for all users. If you have an exception, we will contact you to help you secure your account.