What is Microsoft Word?
Microsoft Word is a word processing software application that enables you do easily create both simple and complex documents, such as memos or reports. Microsoft Word provides tools to enable you to check spelling of your document, create merge letters and add graphics to enhance your written information.
Where can I
purchase Microsoft Word?
Microsoft PowerPoint licenses can be purchased through Harvard University Enterprise Licensing.
do I add a password to a Microsoft Word document?
Microsoft Word documents can be password protected to prevent unwanted changes or unauthorized access. Microsoft Word provides two types of password protection - read-only or view access. To keep a document from being inadvertently changes, set a modify password. To assure only authorized individuals can access the document, set an open password.
Passwords are case-sensitive and can be up to 15 characters in length, including symbols and numbers.
- Choose Word, Preferences... (Macintosh) or Tools, Options... (Windows) from the menu.
- Click the Security category.
- Password to open - individual must type
in password to view and modify the document. This option
prevents unauthorized access.
Password to modify - individual can type in password to view and edit document, but an option to open the document as "read-only" (unmodifiable) is also provided. Allows editing option and viewing options.
Read-only recommended - no password required, but document will only be opened as read only. Changes cannot be made to the document, but document can be saved under a different name.
- Click OK to save your changes. You will be prompted to re-enter the password.
Microsoft Word password encryption is very difficult to break! If you forget the password, HMS Information Technology may not be able to retrieve it for you. Please make sure to store your password in a secure location.
do I remove an embedded hyperlink (URL, email address)
in my Microsoft Word document?
Microsoft Office provides automatic formatting for text that it recognizes as either an email address or URL (web address). Text with an embedded "@" sign will be interpreted as an email address; the characters "www" or "http://" will be formatted as a hyperlink.
To remove the hyperlink:
- Press and hold the control key on the keyboard and click the hyperlinked text (Macintosh) or right-click on the hyperlink (Windows).
- From the pop-up contextual menu, choose Hyperlink>Edit Hyperlink...
- Click the Remove Link button
To prevent Microsoft Word from automatically formatting text as hyperlinks:
- Choose Format, AutoFormat... from the menu.
- Click the Options button.
- Click the check box next to Internet and network paths with hyperlinks under the Replace subheading to remove the check mark.
- Click OK.
I can't find the
formatting toolbar. Did I delete it? How can I get it back?
Microsoft Office toolbars provide one click access to a variety of commonly used commands. Toolbars are organized by category and can be hidden or shown as needed.
To redisplay a missing toolbar:
- Choose View, Toolbars from the menu.
- Select a toolbar name from the cascading menu list. Active toolbars will appear in the list with a checkmark next to their name.
To hide a toolbar:
- Choose View, Toolbars from the menu.
- Select an active toolbar name from the list displayed.
Microsoft Word, as part of the Microsoft Office suite, is available free of charge to HMS and HSDM quad-based faculty and staff. Contact the HMS IT Help Desk for more information.
|Using AutoCorrect||Creating and Using AutoCorrect Entries|
|Using AutoText||Creating and Using AutoText Entries|
|Headers and Footers||Microsoft Word Headers and Footers|
|Indents and Tabs||Using Indents and Tabs|
|Microsoft Word||Microsoft Word web site|
|About.com||About.com Microsoft Word Tips|
|Word MVPS||Microsoft Word MVP FAQ Site|
Copyright 2014 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College.
Site Updated: 7/25/2014